Monday, February 26, 2007

The Oscars


Hooray! Little Miss Sunshine won Best Original Screenplay and Alan Arkin won Best Supporting Actor. And Ellen was just on fire.

I could go on and on. I don’t think there’s nearly enough post-Oscar analysis in the world.

I mean, how much real work gets done on the Monday after Superbowl, when men all across the country gather at water coolers, either reliving the glory of victory or helping each other get through the pain of defeat. As a woman in the working world, I found that I had to at least feign enough interest to know who was playing in the Superbowl, and who in the office was rooting for whom. As a woman married to a man, I find that I might have to sit through not only one, but sometimes two loops of ESPN to appropriately celebrate key victories.

And yet, on Oscar Monday, I often find myself in meeting after meeting with men who don’t even care whether I was excited or crushed that Helen Mirrin (looking fabulous!) edged out Meryl Streep and Penelope Cruz. Worst of all, they don't even know enough to ask.

Men of the working world, hear this: if you work in a mixed gender environment, it is your duty to educate yourself on the Oscars - at least enough to engage in polite post-awards-ceremony banter with your colleagues. Watch the Joan Rivers Red Carpet Show, and have a point of view about Camerion Diaz’s dress (we’ve seen worse). Or hair (we’ve seen better). Watch the Oprah post-Oscar show for highlights and juicy gossip about the Vanity Fair party. For bonus points, talk about how unfair it is that Kate Winslet has been nominated five times, and is still yet to win. In today’s internet era, ignorance of the awards is not a defense.